Here are the show notes for the most recent episode of the Christian Publishing Show.
You can listen to this episode here.
Is independent publishing for you? Find out as we talk about the good, the bad, and the ugly of indie publishing.
But first, some background:
- I am an indie author.
- Worked with some very successful and profitable indie authors over the last 10 years.
- Also worked with a lot of indie authors who were frustrated and disillusioned.
- Bottom line: I am not a partisan in the indie vs trad battle. I see good and bad in both.
Pros of Indie Publishing
- No gatekeeper to block you.
- You have complete control.
- You can make $2-$10 per book
- You have all the marketing data.
Cons of Indie Publishing
- Expensive (If you have a big enough platform, you can crowdfund)
- You have to find professionals to work with on your own.
- Or use the Christian Writers Market Guide (Affiliate Link).
- Only work with professionals with happy clients.
- You Have a Lot More to Learn
- No Gatekeeper to tell you the book is not ready.
- No Placement in Physical Bookstores
- Not eligible for most awards.
- Not eligible for most bestseller lists.
- Better for genre fiction.
- Better for niche nonfiction. Most speakers do better with self-publishing.
- Better for entrepreneurial authors
- Better for fast writers
This course bundle includes:
- How to Get Published (1 hour)
- The SMART Indie: Publishing Basics (>1 hour)
- The SMART Indie: Find your readers (1 hour)
- The SMART Indie: Newsletter Marketing (<1 hour)
- The SMART Indie: Copywriting (2 hours)
- The SMART Indie: Technical how-to’s (>1 hour)
- The SMART Indie: Subsidiary Rights (1 hour)
If purchased separately, these courses would cost $140. But if you use the coupon code “podcast” at checkout, you can get the whole bundle for $44.10. That is nearly $100 in savings. You can also click the link in the show notes to activate the coupon code.